Madisonville Recreation Center

The Madisonville Recreation Center, in Stewart Park, was dedicated in 2002 but the playing fields have been in use since the early 1900s. Stewart Park playgrounds were established and a pool was constructed in 1930, but closed in 1935 not to reopen until after repairs in 1952. The tennis courts were hard-surfaced in 1958.

Korean-Madisonville United Methodist Church

In 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Church of Madisonville became the Madisonville Methodist Church. During the 150th anniversary of the church, celebrated on December 9, 1951, a descendant of Uzziel Ward was baptized at the church. Today, it is the Korean-Madisonville United Methodist Church.

Madisonville Branch Library belonged to the town hall

Before the library was built, the location belonged to town hall in 1896. It was completed and dedicated in 1888 at a cost of $12,000. It was described as having a first floor reading room, two stores (one being Kroger) and an imposing entrance and stairway which led to the second floor village offices, along with a huge meeting room. A jail and the town marshal’s office were also located in the building. In 1900, the large reading room became a branch of the Cincinnati Public Library. When Madisonville was annexed to Cincinnati in 1911, the town hall was no longer needed as a seat of government but was used for other purposes. The Monday Club, a women’s literary group determined to keep the branch library in Madisonville, gained ownership of the building, had it razed in 1923, and constructed a new library building on the site. That building, still in use today as the Madisonville branch of the Public Library, opened its doors in 1925 at Prentice Street and Whetsel Ave.

5524 Madison Road

Benjamin Stewart (1780-1862) was born in New England and moved to Cincinnati in 1827. Two years later he relocated to Madisonville, purchased a large tract of land and began a lumber business. In 1838, he built this house on the property from lumber he had floated down the Ohio River on flatboats. His Nephew designed the house at 5540 Madison Rd, and it was the most prominent landmark in the district. Stewart was married three times and had a total of 10 children. The existing building at 5524 Madison Road was originally the barn and carriage house on the estate, but it was converted to a residence several years ago. The main house is a classic example of the Greek Revival style and was put in the National Register of Historic Places in 1969 as part of the Madison-Stewart Historic District.

4338 Erie Ave

Capt. William Peabody’s residence of 4338 Erie Ave., built in 1884, is a perfect example of Victorian architecture and has been lovingly restored to its former glory by its current custodian, Robert Brown. He has not only restored it to period but has also added a unique feature- a Lionel train traveling along the ceiling through the living room and tunneling through the walls of the dining room, kitchen, and entryway, making the complete circle of the first floor. The captain would be proud to see such an engineering project done in his very own house- how appropriate for the past president of the railroad.

4407 Erie

Built in 1865, making the house 150+ years old. There was a fire at the courthouse in 1867, and the original deed for the house was destroyed and reissued in 1870. A Maxwell House Coffee commercial was filmed on the front porch.

Little Duck Creek Trail

The plans for the Little Duck Creek Trail as a paved hike/bike trail were first developed by the City in 1976. The section of the creek that passes through Madisonville was protected from development as per the City’s 1948 Master Plan. As per that Master Plan, the City maintained its ownership of the land in this valley, including the land that Bramble Park is located on. When Bramble School was built by CPS in 1963, CPS acquired a number of homes on Homer Avenue and tore them down. On the back side of the school, at the creekside, the course of Little Duck Creek was changed (a re-channlization, as the engineers call it) so that the creek was made to bend more to the east, in order to make room for that back playground at Bramble School that is located next to the creek.

Laurel Cemetery

Laurel Cemetery was founded in 1863 by the Independent Order of Oddfellows. An important function of this organization’s activities was founding and support of cemeteries. The group had established its headquarters in Madisonville in 1852 as Laurel Lodge. The group purchased a tract of land of 6 acres from Ashbill and Mary Ward and dedicated the cemetery on May 20, 1863. Additional purchases of land were made in 1871 of almost 2 acres from the Ward Estate and in 1907 an additional 4-1/2 acres from the Bramble Estate, now totaling 12-1/2 acres. The graves of many of the early pioneers can be found at Laurel Cemetery. The section extending behind the Gothic Style structure near the entrance to the cemetery contains many pioneer graves. Others are scattered throughout the older sections of the cemetery. Some of Madisonville’s prominent citizens of their day are buried here:
• Elon & Margaret Bramble (parents of Ayers Bramble)
• Ayers & Mary Bramble
• Ashbill Ward (and many other Wards are found in several sections)
• Ludlow & wife Elizabeth
• Smith & Mary Clason
• Clephanes’, Whetsel’s, Blacks, Jones, Demmings, Settle family

The Oddfellows still maintain the cemetery from their lodge in Milford. This is still an operating cemetery.